Monday, September 22, 2014

Play by Play Of My Procedure.

I had my procedure/surgery on Friday. I had to start fasting completely 8 hours before the procedure which doesn't seem like it'd be hard but try telling a pregnant girl she can't eat or even have a drink of water all day. I don't know if it's a normal pregnancy symptom but I get incredibly dry mouth and have to drink water all day, is torture. Being that my surgery wasn't until 3:30 in the afternoon I was dying of thirst all day long. We were told to get to the hospital 2 hours early so at 1 we packed up the car with my overnight bag and all our paperwork and Ethan, my mom and I headed to the hospital. When we got there and got to the L&D Triage floor where you check in a doctor was there asking if I was there yet, saying they were ready for me early. They signed me in and said only one person could come back to triage with me so my mom went to the waiting room and Ethan and I went back into the pre-surgery triage area. Immediately they had me leave a urine sample and change into a hospital gown, by the time I was done with that they were back asking questions and hooking me up to the doppler to hear her heart rate and taking my blood pressure and all the standard hospital things. Everyone always complains about the hospital taking forever and having to wait around but we didn't wait for even 5 minutes.

 After they got the initial things they came to give me the second shot for her lungs and brain development. Then they started my IV and took 6 vials of blood and hooked me up to a huge bag of saline.  They kept asking questions and feeling my stomach to find her body and asking if I was in pain or had any signs of labor. Then the anesthesiologist came in and said that he'd never seen one of these surgeries but one of the OB's said to give me a spinal just like a C Section and something in my IV to keep me calm and warned me that I'd probably be sleepy. I said that was fine and we shook hands and he said he'd see me in the OR. Then came in Dr.Solomon (my perinatologist) she said she'd gotten their early and was ready to go. She had the shunts in a bag in her purse and said she wanted to go talk to all the other doctors. Then came in the neonatologist saying that if we went into labor he would take her and do everything he could to save her. Then came in the OB that would be doing the C section if we needed one and she introduced herself and made some small talk. Then came in a medical student to explain all the risks of a C section and all the risks of this procedure and make me sign papers. More nurses came in and were giving me antibiotics in case of infection in the IV, and pumping me full of medicines. One nurse came and gave me 3 medicines I needed before a spinal, one I can't remember the purpose and two were so I wouldn't throw up. Two of them went into the IV and one I had to drink, it was the most foul tasting liquid ever especially after having such a dry mouth all day. More doctors and nurses came and talked to us about everything they were doing and everyone we would see. The neonatal surgeon came in and said she still thinks 33 weeks is the best but if anything were to happen she would try her best and no matter when Avery is born she will try her hardest. While all the doctors were talking I got this reaction to one of the medicines they put in my IV and my nurse said it was a really rare reaction but she'd had it before and knew how horrible it was. I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. I couldn't hold still my legs hurt and and I was incredibly anxious. She said to try and take deep breaths and that is lasted about 20 minutes. I could barley focus on what people were saying to me and I just felt horrible. The nurse came back with IV benadryl (which works way better than the pills you take at home) and within 5 minutes it did start to calm me down and make me feel less anxious and jittery. I was so glad she'd had the reaction before so she could empathize with me and knew what to give me, I was already so nervous to have the surgery the last thing I needed was this reaction going on for 20 minutes.

  Dr. Solomon came back in at this point and asked Ethan and I "If we're in there and fetal distress starts and we can't stop it. What do you want us to do? Do you want us to just leave you here and most likely she will die and then induce you to have a stillbirth or would you want us to bring Ethan into the OR and have an emergency C Section and try to give you a live birth. There isn't much we could do if she was born alive she's too tiny and would probably die but you would have a better chance at having a live birth, though it could still be a stillbirth." We knew this could happen and that it was a possibility of having this procedure but hearing them say it like that really freaked me out. They said there was about a 20% chance (maybe less) of this happening but it was always an option and we needed to decide now before I had all the pain meds and we were in the middle of a crisis situation. I got really overwhelmed and started to cry a little bit but Ethan and I agreed we wanted every chance of having a live birth so agreed on the C Section.

 They said they were almost ready to go into surgery then, we'd been there for 2 full hours and didn't have more than 2 minutes of a breather. I asked if I could switch out Ethan for my mom so I could see her for a few minutes before they pulled me into surgery and one nurse said we went right past the waiting room and they would stop and let me see her. The doctor chimed in that they could sneak her back there for me without taking Ethan out and a few minutes later she and my Grandma showed up in the room. I asked for a few minutes to talk to them and we all nervously chattered and I caught them up on the last two hours they'd missed. After a few minutes they came in to get me and we all caravanned to the OR (or for Ethan, my mom and my Grandy they went to the waiting room.) While we were walking a nurse gave Ethan all the clothes to put over his clothes for the C Section and told him to put them on now so he was ready if they needed him, after that everyone I loved was gone and it was just the nurses and doctors and me. We stopped so everyone could get their scrubs on and so they could put a hairnet on me and the shoe booties on my feet even though I was barefoot.

 They got me up and had me walk into the OR, which looked nothing like I imagined it was. It was small and crowded and just nothing like I'd imagined or seen on TV. They put my "cocktail" as they called it into my IV and said it would make me woozy that it was a mixture of morphine, and a couple other drugs that I don't remember the name of and then they had me sit forward and hug a pillow and put my head on a nurses chest so they could give me the Spinal block. After that I laid back and everyone started rushing around to get ready. They set up the Ultrasound machine and all the tools, gave me oxygen, and one of the nurses was trying to make small talk with me. They put up the curtain so I couldn't see what they were doing to me and then said I'd feel pressure because they were giving me a catheter. Next Dr. Solomon came and told me that they were going to start. By now I was feeling pretty heavy. I could think clearly but speaking was hard and I felt kind of lost. The rest of it is all kind of jumbled in my memory. I remember Dr. Solomon showing the Neonatal Surgeon all of Avery's problems they've seen and people commenting on all the fluid in her tummy. I then remember a nurse saying I should try and close my eyes but I was too scared. They then said I'd feel pressure and thats when they did their incision and poked the large placing needle and shunt in. After that is when it got scary.

 All the nurses started rushing around and saying the cord was in the way, Dr. Solomon and Dr. Chambers (the OB) were saying "Come on baby move, we need a clear shot here." and the whole room got tense. The  anesthesiologist's assistant was trying to tell me a joke to get me to not listen to them but they were all I could hear. I felt like I was underwater, I knew something was wrong but I couldn't quite make out what was going on. I think it only lasted for a minute or two but it felt like a long time and then Dr. Solomon said "I'm going to need the second shunt. This one won't work." She took it out and put another needle and all the things they use to place the shunt back through my incision. At this point the Neonatal Surgeon came over to pet my head and tell me how great I was doing. She started telling me about who she operates on and that Avery was cute she saw her face on the ultrasound. I think I dosed off for a few minutes around this point and then when I woke up Dr. Solomon said she' had it placed. I guess another Doctor was going to tell my family it was looking good. They were still watching her to see how she was reacting on the screen and I guess her entire belly drained in about 5 minutes. Which they were not expecting so that was good. They said she went from looking like a pregnant person with water filled to a normal sized baby abdomen. They tried to make Avery move but I guess she was tired from the meds they gave me too. They said that was normal but they put something that vibrated on my stomach to try and shake her but she wasn't moving. They said it was okay and then started to clean up. I asked a nurse how long we'd been in there since Dr. Solomon told me before the surgery it should only take about 30 minutes tops and the nurse said it'd been an hour. I asked to see Avery and I guess they showed her to me on the screen and showed me her tummy which had no more fluid but I don't remember that much at all. I asked to have a print out of her face and they said they'd give me one.

They all put me on a board and lifted me to another bed and wheeled me to recovery. I'm not sure how long I waited or slept there. I remember the nurse handing me a copy of the picture of Avery from the Ultrasound and saying the doctor would be in soon. Dr. Solomon came in and said it went as well as it could have. That the first didn't work because her cord was in the way but once they got that figured it out it went really well and drained great. That now we just needed to hope that two things don't happen. 1. Hope she doesn't pull the shunt out of her tummy sometime and 2. That it doesn't get clogged up with calcium build up since these shunts aren't made for this purpose and that there could be too much calcium that clogs it and makes it stop working. She said if that does happen we can always do this again but we'd prefer not to. We just need this to hold out for 6 1/2 more weeks and then she can be delivered and it doesn't need to be there anymore. She told me she was going to go talk to my family and then send them in to see me. Next thing I remember is my mom, Ethan, Grandy and Opa (what I call my grandparents) were all in there and told me that I did good and it seemed like it went well.

 I showed them the picture of her face and talked a little with them but I was too groggy to remember much and I'm not sure if the talking I did was making much sense at this point. After awhile there they moved me to another bed and wheeled me into the room that I would spend the rest of my hospital stay in. I took a nap and watched some shows and was constantly be poked and prodded at by nurses and they kept giving me more medicines in my IV. They brought Ethan a cot to sleep on for the night and after dinner my mom said she was going to go home. She said if anything happened to call her and she would be there immediately. Ethan and I watched some more TV and I just rested. They checked Avery's heart rate a few times and every time it sounded good.

 We got to go home the next afternoon and I was told just to stay on bed rest and lay low. Now I am here at home still having lazy days. I'm a little sore from the procedure but Avery is moving around like normal and I'm feeling better every day. We have a follow up with Dr. Solomon on Wednesday (they said we may start seeing her more than once a week now) to see how Avery is looking. Hopefully the shunt is still doing its job and she has no excess fluid on her tummy. I may have to stay on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy they will decide that when we see how she's looking. For right now I sort of wish I knew how to knit or crochet or something to occupy my hands and time of all the hours I'm just laying here.

 So for right now I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Hopefully we get good news on Wednesday and it's working great, then I'll be really happy. Thank you to everyone who has written to me or asked how I was doing. Also thank you to everyone who prayed this would go well and thought about us during this scary time. Please keep up your prayers that this thing works and holds for the next 6 1/2 weeks until they want to deliver her.

2 comments:

  1. Wow you are a hero and your husband too. What wonderful parents you both are. I am pregnant with baby #8 so I can sympathize with you although I have never experienced what you are going thru I can only imagine. God is amazing and will carry you thru all this if you put all your hope and trust in HIM. I know it's hard to hear bc if you are like me I am a complete control freak and want a solution on my own and sometimes forget to give it to HIM but I am learning along life's journey that this is the only sure way is thru HIM. God bless you all and all your struggles. I have to share this with you...I am (sadly to admit) not good about remembering people who ask for prayers. I just get so caught up in life that I forget but you are on my heart and I pray all the time for you. I pray all is well with you. Hang in there be strong and give it all to GOD!!!! Blessings in life,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia - There are many of us out here praying for you and your baby. Your strength has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete